How to Use Reflective Vinyl Adhesive
Reflective Vinyl Adhesive: Cutting and Application Instructions
Works best on smooth surfaces such as glass, smooth plastic, or metal. Be sure the application surface is clean and dry. Remove the decal from the backing and position it over the desired location. Adhere one edge to the surface then smooth the rest out, working out any air bubbles. Ensure that there is a good seal around the entire edge of the sticker. For best results do not apply a sticker in extreme hot or cold temperatures. Ideally between 50 degrees F and 90 degrees F (10 degrees C and 32 degrees C).
Design, Cut, Weed
- Design images and cut with the cutting machine such as a Cricut or Silhouette.
- Remove the negative pieces from each of the images leaving the backing paper (liner) intact. This process is called weeding.
- Cut a piece of transfer tape that is large enough to encompass your decal. Peel away the backing paper from the transfer tape.
- Gently apply the transfer tape (adhesive side down) over your decal. To prevent bubbles, start in the center and move out toward the edges. Use a squeegee or credit card to burnish (rub or polish) the tape onto the vinyl.
- To apply decal, peel away the vinyl backing paper at a 45-degree angle. If the vinyl does not separate from the liner, simply burnish the transfer tape onto the vinyl and peel away again.
Applying Transfer Tape
- Make sure your project surface and decal are clean and dry.
- Peel backing paper away from the transfer tape.
- Attach a small area of transfer tape to your design. This can either be the center or one end of your design.
- Use a squeegee to apply transfer tape onto your decal, working outward from where you attached the small area.
- Flip your decal and burnish this side to ensure adhesion to the transfer tape.
Apply to Project Surface
- Make sure the project surface is clean and dry.
- Peel vinyl backing paper away from transfer tape and decal.
- If vinyl doesn't separate from the liner, simply burnish liner back onto the vinyl and peel away again.
- To transfer design to your project surface follow these steps:
- Attach a small area of design onto your surface. This can either be the center or one end of your design.
- Use a squeegee, scraper, or credit card to burnish design onto your surface, working outward from where you attached the small area initially.
- Once your decal is applied, burnish the transfer tape again from the center and moving out toward the edges to ensure adhesion.
- Peel transfer tape away from design.
- Work slowly. If vinyl peels up with the transfer tape, simply burnish transfer tape and vinyl back down to the project surface again. Then continue to peel the transfer tape away from the vinyl.
- For best results, peel transfer tape at an acute angle.
Peel the transfer tape away from the vinyl at a 45-degree angle.
- Ensure your target surface clean and dry
- Wait 24 hours until washing or exposing to water.
- If there are any questions or issues when using the reflective vinyl permanent adhesive, contact us right away!
Reflective Vinyl Cut Guide
Note: A test cut is recommended before cutting the entire design.
For Cricut Explore, turn the Smart Set dial to Vinyl + but you may also need to bump it to Iron On if the material isn't cut through all the way.
|Cricut Maker||Select "Browse all materials", then select "Notebook Paper". The cut pressure for this material on the Cricut Maker is 190.||Fine Point|